Monday, July 12, 2010

Contentment in the Moment

I was thinking about a few things today as my professor was going through the book of Lamentations. He was talking about how it was a mourning by the prophet Jeremiah as his whole nation went into enslavery to the nation of Babylon, a punishment from the LORD for their blatent idolatry. He wept as his nation refused to turn to their God, and yet he said something that was incredible to me.
This is perhaps the most clichey scripture, but I think it comes to life when you see the background of the history of Isreal in this scripture. I'm sure everyone remembers the hymn, "Your mercies are new every morning, they are new every morning...!", but it comes to life when you see the background. It's Lamentations 3:20-26, when Jeremiah looks on as Isreal is in chains, under the discipline of God, and says this:
"Surely my soul remembers and is bowed down within me. This i recal to my mind, therefore I have hope. The LORD's loving kindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul, 'Therefore I have hope in Him'. The LORD is good to those who wait on Him, to the person qho seeks Him."
In the most devastating time of his country, Jeremiah still has hope in something bigger, in Someone bigger. And I was incredibly convicted. How often do I get insecure when things don't go my way? How many times do I chose to walk by my own wisdom and strength when I feel threatened? And yet I am called to walk by the power of hope, of faith, and by waiting on God's hand to work in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment